I’ve just cancelled my Kindle Unlimited membership and I’m now hurriedly reading the remaining 14% of ‘Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine’.
I’m breaking up with my Kindle app. I shan’t be using it any more.
I mainly use the Kindle app on my iPhone which does have it’s pros:
- I’m never without my phone, which means I can open the app and delve into my book wherever and whenever.
- It’s easy to read at night when the lights are off.
- My iPhone is lighter than a book and therefore easier to carry around with me.
- Finding a new book to read is effortless – no bookshop trip needed.
- It’s easier to read whilst doing my hair or eating as I don’t need to hold a book open.
There’s one big con for me:
- What my kids see.
They’re aged 3 and 1. They don’t know that I’m reading a book. They only see me staring at my iPhone. I want my kids to see me reading, really reading. And this is why I’ll be going back to my physical books once I’m done with my current read on the Kindle app.
I have three hardback books ready and waiting and secretly, I think I prefer physical books anyway. Holding the book, turning the pages, displaying my most loved books on the shelf and having my children see me reading… Those things far outweigh the pros of the kindle app for me.